Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dogs style

A friend of mine had sent me a FWD, one of those with cute adorable pups pics tagged with sappy homilies about friendship and sacrifice.

This had me reminiscing about the canines (I mean real ones, not the bitches!!!) that I had as pets.

I never had a snooty breed but scores of mutts, some flea infested strays that I used to clutch home, which of course horrified my mother. Poor woman.

Not surprisingly one thing great about mixed breed mongrels is that they rarely fall sick, must be those robust street genes they have. And boy they have character and attitude. Not just tail wagging and face licking.

Some are dignified like war heroes, loyal like an old friend. Those kinds sit near you content and at ease, no tail wagging exhibition of faithfulness. Almost like buddies, no master and pet chain of command for them.

Some are scheming; I had a bitch whose mate selection skills would put some of her human counterparts to shame.

As in humans some are downright stupid, I had a pup which would lose itself under the bed and howl till someone retrieved it.

And there was this hilarious mutt who had the habit of peeing every time the doorbell rang. I have heard of Dr Pavlov’s experiment, where ringing bell meant food for his experimental dog. So the ringing bell would make the dog salivate. But for our mutt, I fail to understand the stimulation. That too totally different ends!!!

Of all the dogs no one rescued me from flaming buildings and raging rivers, like Lassie would have. But boy they were fun to be with.

No comments:

Post a Comment